9/09/2010

Things I love Thursday

So I saw this on a few blogs and have been looking for something to do other than post art, because sometimes I don't do art for a while and still want to keep my blog going. So I have decided to also do a Things I love Thursday! Let's hope I keep it going :)

First on my list is the movie Marie Antoinette, directed by Sophia Coppola. This is the most visually beautiful movie I have ever seen. It's feminine without being overly twee or girly. Everything from the costume and hair designs to the props, the way the french pastries are used and the color palette is just spot on. Some stills I took:
I was thrilled to find out that Laduree designed all of the pastries seen in the movie! I have long been obsessed with them since I had a macaron and I now dream of going back to Paris and having some French pastries there. I can safely say that this movie has had an impact on my work, especially in my Patisserie Francaise series.

Next on my list is the artwork of Mark Ryden. I had the pleasure of seeing "The Gay 90's Olde Tyme Art Show" in person at Paul Kasmin gallery in NYC and the work is stunning in person. I have always had an appreciation for oil painting, and love the way he paints. I love his color palette, his subject matter, everything. I am not an art critic so I don't really know what else to say except that his work really appeals to me. Here are some pieces from the show:

1 comment:

  1. Awesome! Mark Ryden is amazing; the time-lapsed painting videos he posts on youtube... soooo cool. I feel super untalented every time I see his work, haha.

    ReplyDelete